Unidad: Lo sobrenatural (Spanish 3)

246987218_4ad8cbf26d
image courtesy of I’m Fantastic

I needed something light, fun, and engaging to take us through the last 8 weeks of school. This is what I came up with! A unit on the supernatural! Kids love it, and I with a little help from my twitter PLN I was able to gather/create a ton of resources! A very special thanks to  Caitlin Hudgins, Carrie Toth, Carol Gaab, Martina Bex, and Cynthia Hitz for all of their help with this, whether they realized it or not!

Essential questions

• What is “supernatural?”
  • What are some examples of different types of supernatural creatures/events that occur in movies and stories?
  • How do people react when faced with a supernatural occurrence?
  • Why are we fascinated by the supernatural?
  • Do different cultures have different ways of portraying/explaining/relating to supernatural events?
  • Why do some people believe and others don’t believe?
  • Is belief in the supernatural a cultural thing?
  • How do our religious beliefs affect our reaction or ability to process something that appears supernatural?
  • Are there supernatural phenomena that YOU believe in?

Learning targets

• I can identify vocabulary used to discuss the supernatural.
  • I can compare and contrast various supernatural phenomena from the stories we learned about in class.
  • I can make inferences and predictions about unknown elements of a story.
  • I can recall main events as well as details from and understandably re-tell a story about a supernatural phenomenon.
  • I can describe my own beliefs about the supernatural.
  • I can inquire about the beliefs of others in the supernatural.
  • I can create my own supernatural story using vocabulary and concepts from the various resources we studied.

Please view my entire unit on the supernatural here.

Addition 5/29/13:

To assess this unit my students are doing an interpersonal conversation as well as an in-class essay.

For the interpersonal conversation, I made a set of picture cards (download sobrenatural_pics) of various supernatural creatures/phenomena from the unit, and also a set of question cards (download speaking assessment questions). Students selected their own groups of 3.

Each student will select a picture card randomly, as well as 3 question cards randomly. They will then discuss the cards they chose and ask each other the questions. I will encourage them to make up their own additional questions as well! I will let you know how it goes after they do this next week!

Essay for Lo Sobrenatural “Los Cucos” (gracias to @senoraCMT for this!)

1. Select 3 of the pieces we looked at – Explain how they have a common thread.
  2. Compare 2 of the “cucos” with your own childhood cuco.
  3. Compare 2 of the “cucos” with a favorite cuco from a movie or book.
  4. Why is it sometimes scarier when you can’t SEE the scary thing? Use the film/videos/novels/stories to explain your point.
Advertisements

15 thoughts on “Unidad: Lo sobrenatural (Spanish 3)

1. maismademoiselle August 28, 2015 / 2:58 PM

Hi Kristy – Do you mind if I adapt this for French? Love it!

2. karacjacobs December 24, 2014 / 5:43 AM

Hi Kristy! I just got copies of La Calaca Alegre and was thinking about EQs and what to do as a “unit”. I just revisited your post and this is perfect! Thanks so much for sharing so much! Looking forward to doing this unit next semester.

3. Jodi August 14, 2014 / 7:15 PM

I LOVE this unit!!! Thank you so much for supplying it in its entirety!!! I have been on your site several times. Do you have other units that you give out? Starting an entire new curriculum with Spanish III and IV and I would love to beg and borrow from anything that you have! Thanks so much!!!!

• kplacido August 19, 2014 / 10:52 AM

I will try to share more this year too! I have a lot of info about my Spanish Civil War unit and my Guerra Sucia Argentina units here also!

4. jgeroux8 August 10, 2013 / 9:32 AM

Hi! I just thought of something that could be really cool to add to this unit. A story about La Isla de las Muñecas: Teshuilo Lake, Mexico. Not sure if it would work with everything else but I like how the kids initially are so creeped out by the pictures and then once they hear the background story it doesn’t seem as weird!

5. Shelly Saunders May 23, 2013 / 3:20 PM

Hi Kristy,

I love this unit and thank you so much for including links to all the videos and papers you are using in class. I love your blog and have gotten a lot of great ideas for my classes. I used to be all TPRS all the time (which worked well but exhausted me honestly) but have switched to thematic units and I am loving it! Thanks again and have a happy and relaxing summer!

6. Gary DiBianca May 5, 2013 / 12:55 PM

Kristy and Carrie,

I have often taught a similar unit but you have create one that is so much better. I am going to use many aspects of this. I am super pumped and so glad I came across this. See you in July.
    Gary D.

• kplacido May 5, 2013 / 3:30 PM

Thanks Gary! Looking forward to seeing you again this summer! 🙂

7. Emily Baker April 11, 2013 / 11:51 PM

Oh my goodness!!! This is too much!! I am so excited to use this at some point. Thank you for sharing the whole lesson plan.

• senoracmt April 17, 2013 / 6:10 PM

Mine are just starting but it is going well so far!!! 🙂 Great unit!!!