Legends project

In Spanish 2, my students will be creating videos this week.  This is essentially going to be both a reading and listening activity.

Some background:

My students studied the legend of La Llorona, reading/viewing 2 different versions of the story.  Later in the semester, they learned the Greek myth of Athena and Arachne and we compared to the Mayan myth of how the goddess Ix Chel taught the Mayan women how to weave after she observed spiders weaving.

Now my students are going to learn 6 more myths/legends/traditional stories and create a video about ONE of them each.  First, I typed up a short and simple version of each of the stories I had chosen.

I put out a call for help on twitter as well as on the “More TPRS” Yahoo group I belong to.  As a result, I had several different native Spanish speakers volunteer to call my Google Voice number and record themselves reading one or more of the stories that I had shared via a Google Doc.

Did you know you can download Google Voice messages as mp3 files?  Oh yes!

The next steps will be:

Students will listen to all of the recordings in class and predict in writing what they think each legend is about.

Students will receive a copy of one of the legends to read individually.  They will “talk to the text” and mark it up with their thoughts, impressions, and understandings.

Students will then confer with larger groups of students who read the same legend and add to their notes.

Students will then jigsaw and share their legends with a group of students who each read different legends.

THEN, students will discover which of the six legends they have been assigned to.

Students will use the native speakers’ voice recordings as the soundtrack, and will create a video providing visual support for the soundtrack.

I will share the final video projects on youtube for all of you teachers out there to enjoy!

Advertisements

11 thoughts on “Legends project

1. Josh November 29, 2015 / 11:15 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this! You, and the materials that you have shared, have helped me immensely over the years. I, too, was wondering if you would be willing to share the MP3 of native speakers reading the legends?

2. hawkin28 December 16, 2014 / 2:45 PM

How did they create a video providing visual support for the soundtrack? Did they act it out? Do pictures slides? YouTube channel? I’ve been using your simplified legends for my storytelling unit and they’ve been perfect. I found them through the TG of La Llorona. Thank you!

• kplacido December 16, 2014 / 4:11 PM

They used powerpoint to create slides, then exported as jpg then imported to windows movie maker.

• hawkin28 December 16, 2014 / 6:17 PM

Awesome. Thank you, I’ll have to try windows movie maker sometime. What was the time span of this lesson? You’re a pro. I’ve been doing 1 legend per class sprinkled in the past two months. I like your idea better. Were you able to post any of those final video projects? Thanks again. 🙂

3. Melissa Vine May 5, 2013 / 7:28 PM

Hi Kristy! I am going to use these legends to finish out the year with my level three’s. I was wondering if the recordings that coincide with the legends are on your website. If so, where? I’d love to be able to incorporate them into my lessons.

4. Jen December 27, 2011 / 6:07 PM

So funny! I saw you on pinterest and clicked on your website. My students made videos on La Llorona too! I’m on twitter at teacheatlove. Are you on Twitter? Looking forward to reading your blog!

• kplacido December 29, 2011 / 10:16 AM

Hi Jen! I follow you on twitter! I am @placido! 🙂

5. SenoraCMT December 17, 2011 / 10:01 PM

I like the “talk to the text” idea but I am having trouble visualizing. Could you take a picture of one and email it to me?

• kplacido December 18, 2011 / 9:03 AM

I’ll see if I can get a pic for you! The kids kept their work. Basically you just make notes, draw pics, make associations, etc all over the text to help yourself understand it. It is like “thinking aloud” on paper. Making those invisible metacognitive processes visible on the paper. But I will look for a good one to take a pic of! 🙂

• Kelly Ferguson March 26, 2015 / 10:07 PM

Oooh, our big thing at school is students making thinking visible. We do lots of annotations and text marking, but I like this way of approaching it better. Gonna totally steal this.